10 (+1) reasons you don't need a car in Banff. Really, you don't!
Banff Transportation Options & Suggestions
You don’t need a car in Banff. Really, you don’t! Getting where you want to go is fast and easy – and being car-free is being stress-free. Oh, and it’s also better for the environment. Isn’t that what a mountain get-away is all about?
Here’s why you don't need a car when you come here:
- Hop on the bus, and get out of town! With regular departures from downtown Calgary and the Calgary International Airport, ride the Brewster Express so you can enjoy the views, arrive refreshed and be ready to enjoy all that the mountains have to offer.
- Walking distance: Many Banff hotels are located so close to the downtown core that you won't require a vehicle at all, and the all-new Mount Royal Hotel, is right in the middle of it all!
- Local transit: The local buses operated by Roam Transit service the entire Banff town site, have scheduled hourly trips from Banff to Canmore and back, and now there’s also a local route in Canmore. Check out the Roam Transit Website for more information and schedules.
- Free shuttle to the Gondola: The free shuttle from downtown Banff to the Banff Gondola will be up and running this summer. So, stroll down Banff Ave to a pick-up spot – we’ve got you covered from there right to the top of Sulphur Mountain.
- Hotel pick-up and drop off: Local sightseeing tour operators in Banff offer convenient pick-up and drop-off locations at most hotels in Banff.
- Transfers to nearby towns: In addition to the Calgary airport to Banff transfers, the Brewster Express offers regular transfers to Lake Louise, Canmore and Kananaskis should you wish to explore the neighbouring communities during your visit.
- Forget about parking: We won't sugar coat it—parking in Banff can be tricky, particularly on peak weekends and busy times throughout the day. Driving around looking for a parking space is a total waste of time! Help reduce traffic congestion and do your part for the environment by leaving your car at home.
- Shuttles to local ski hills: Sunshine Village, Mt. Norquay and Lake Louise ski resorts all offer shuttle transportation direct from Banff to the hill for a nominal fee. You’ll be dropped off right outside the lodge or gondola base and avoid the long walk from the parking lot!
- Kick back, relax and enjoy a few drinks: You’ll never have to worry about finding a designated driver or waiting for a taxi when you let Banff do the driving for you.
- Unique methods of travel: How about exploring on horse drawn carriage or sleigh in winter or on a rented townie bike in summer—so much more fun than travelling in a car!
- Be green: You’re drawn to Banff for the pristine natural landscapes and clean mountain air. Reducing traffic means reducing the environmental impact of your visit. Nature thanks you.
You’re helping the environment—and you get to relax and really enjoy your Banff getaway.